On 12/12/2011 22:44, Chris Keating wrote:
> I was talking to Gordon Joly and Philafrenzy about this at the
> Wikimeet and I think the collective feeling was that contact before
> and after an editing session is important as well as the event itself.
>
> I can certainly think of events where lots of people have turned up,
> but none of the new wannabe Wikipedians has gone on to contribute
> after the event - perhaps this could be improved by some friendly
> emails afterwards offering to continue the help offered on the day.
>
> I think we're definitely learning more about how we do these things,
> and hopefully these events - whatever form they end up taking - will
> continue that.
>
> Chris

Yes, we should be a little more formal. Assess skills (and requirements)
before the event, and get proper feedback on the session, and then a few
weeks later.

Also, stick to a standard package to be delivered (they already exist?).
As I mentioned on Sunday, I spent four two hour sessions with a local
community group (a few years back) teaching very basic wiki skills. I
had installed Mediawiki, with a view to using it as a blog, website and
later a community archive.

Note: we did not go anywhere near Wikipedia. I was training them in
editing skills alone, using Mediawiki. A few years before that (ten
years ago?) we had used TWiki for another project in the same community.
Hence, we did not cover the standards and procedures Wikipedia (e.g. The
Five Pillars).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWiki

Gordo

--