On 30 December 2011 17:14, Roger Bamkin <victuall...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I'm feeling good as I just had a press release from Monmouth County Council
> and I made the point that it was "Wikimedia UK" they were partnering with -
> and we should be mentioned. I agree that John Cummings comment is spot on.
> He isnt a Wikipedia old lag but quite a new Wikipedian. He is the only
> wikipedian as far as I know in Monmouth. We are going to try and pull off an
> amazing stunt of taking one Wikipedian and creating 1,000 QR codes in a town
> that has no other known editors. John cannot do this .... Monmouth and
> Wikimedia UK can.
>
> Lots of coverage to day from The Next Web et al, BBC Wales Radio and TV and
> we're on Radio 4 next week. We also have "promises" of longer features. My
> own target is that we get a TV programme out of this. The story "broke"
> because John got a bit published in the Monmouth Beacon and the press ran
> with it. I'm not surprised, this a "meme" of an idea.
>
> The project has not been hidden but I guess it has not occupied much board
> time as the idea is so simple and everyone I've spoklen to just says "got it
> .... lets do it". The only investment so far has been persuading "the town"
> that they want to do it..... and we have had no one say No, nearly everyone
> has said "yes ... how can we help". We have had a few who wanted to think
> about it, but we made it clear that this wasn't an option. We already have a
> university, several societies, 2/3 museums, councillors and civic societies
> etc committed. Initial funding is agreed.
>
> This is a great chance for Wikimedia UK to show what it can do. It would be
> great if some of our members searched out some Monmouth articles or looked
> at the Monmouthpedia project pages and started helping. I would request
> however that people resist giving "a quick lesson in what you are doing
> wrong" to a newbie until we have helped them four of five times.
>
> Anybody got some time to assist? It would be great to demonstrate how we
> collaborate to create something better then any of us can do alone.
>
> I'm (desperately) hoping someone surprises me
> Roger

The problem you hit rather quickly is that while it is fairly easy to
write local history about your local area (your local library will
have sources) writing local history about a more distant place is far
more difficult. Monmouth Archaeological Society also appears to have a
fairly limited set of publications which is a pity since local
Archaeological Societies are usually a fairly good of material for
articles.

--
geni