On 14 January 2012 23:22, Fae <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:

Windows is unreliable rubbish and should not be handed to random
people to use. If it is, it should be wiped and reinstalled each time.
(That means "don't".) It's also a virus magnet in any hands less than
expert.

WMF makes Windows available to staff only on a "strictly as needed"
basis for this reason. This means HR, Accounting or
development/testing, for software reasons. (I asked about it on
internal-l and have asked them to write a public post or page on the
subject.)

Really - Windows requires expert administration not to turn into a
toxic waste dump.

> Annoyingly there are a number of Wikipedia tools such as AWB which
> still need a windoze install to run.

I use it on this here Ubuntu box with Wine. It's not 100% functional,
but I use it quite happily. (More Wine bug reports!)

- d.