On 14 June 2012 07:41, Gordon Joly <gordon.j...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 13/06/12 18:05, Charles Matthews wrote:

>>> What is the current budget?
>>
>> I'm making business cases for deliverables individually. The overall
>> training budget is 20K?
>>
>> Charles
>>

> So the distance learning is a fraction of £20K?
>
> I believe you said that there would be volunteer effort, but in any case, I
> would not expect much from such a small budget for such a difficult and
> technical area (that is distance learning).

That comment being written in an expectation-lowering way, and also
not being within my remit to answer, I'll make some remarks. Firstly I
held off sending Jon Davies any concrete and costed proposals until I
had attended the "Training for Trainers": I thought it was premature.
I then hit the ground running about 74 hours ago; and posted to this
list as soon as I had figured out what I called the "interlocking" in
my first post.

I question the assumption that money is likely to be the limiting
factor in building the online community: I think "some things money
can't buy" is a really good general explanation of Wikimedia's
success.

And the other point is this: the genesis of this project was my
unsuccessful tender to train WMUK's trainers. In it I basically
suggested WMUK clone the Open University's OpenLearn project. I
consulted two people associated with the OU before doing that. The OU
are world leaders in distance learning. Against precedent, as I have
noted, my direction is to assume we can lift and adapt what they do,
conditional only on making sure that our community values are placed
front and centre.

I could go on, but we don't have necessarily to buy in advice except
the trainer-training. There is a Moodle community who may take it very
well if WMUK endorses Moodle rather than saying someone should
reverse-engineer it and write a MediaWiki extension, even if that
means junking years of development of the features that educators have
actually asked for. The OU possibly do not see WMUK as a rival, but as
on the same side. Who knows.

Charles