On 27 Jul 2012, at 08:26, David Gerard wrote:

> On 27 July 2012 16:20, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 27 July 2012 13:59, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> We should consider that this isn't merchandise for sale, but giveaway
>>> swag - chapters can't sell merchandise (yet), just give it away. (Go
>>> visit WMUK and get away without a coffee mug.)
>
>> Are you sure about that? I remember Mike Godwin saying repeating at
>> the Chapters Meeting in Berlin in 2009 that the WMF wasn't trying to
>> stop chapters selling t-shirts (he seemed to think that was the only
>> use of the trademarks we were interested in...). I'm not aware of that
>> policy changing. (Whether they can be sold for profit, or just at
>> cost, I'm not sure - there are tax issues if the chapter makes too
>> much profit out of trading activies, anyway.)
>

> I vaguely recall someone saying the chapter agreement didn't allow it,
> but I'm sure WMUK would be most pleased for me to be wrong :-)

I think the situation is changing now, particularly with the global Wikimedia
shop, and also a number of other chapters (FR, IT, etc.) operating shops. The
question is more, is it worthwhile doing and/or pushing for? Is there a market,
and sufficient benefit for the projects?

(I had a quick chat with James Alexander about providing chapter-branded
merchandise through the main Wikimedia shop, which may well be possible in the
future.)

Thanks,
Mike