On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Charles Matthews <
charles.r.matth...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On 16 November 2012 09:54, Andreas Kolbe <jayen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Charles, I really am a bit mystified here. First of all, I would echo
> Tom's
> > point about the insider fallacy. In quality management terms, the people
> > Wikipedia writes about are customers, just as readers are. That's quality
> > management ABC, and I can't imagine why you would contest that.
>
> Well, ask the management of "The Sun" whether the celebs they write
> about are the "customers", and they'll have a good belly-laugh. Since
> I'm not interested in the "tabloid" side of WP I know what you are
> saying here, but I don't think you are expressing the point. Everyone
> knows that WP operates on universal principles rather than things you
> find in management books.

Let's just say then that both readers and subjects have certain rightful
expectations of Wikipedia, and how well Wikipedia fulfils them is a measure
of the quality of Wikipedia's service.

> [...]
> > within NPOV to have a right to be at the WP table. Just turning up on a
> talk
> > page is enough. Do you disagree?
>
> About the lawyer: I think I have been misunderstood here. I meant that
> a lawyer probably has had enough training and background to deal with
> the actual issues of representing a client on WP. I was not suggesting
> that anyone should be using a lawyer to make legal threats and so on.
>
> Since I was involved in the CIPR guideline draft I know what it says.
>
> I think we (the WP community) should show a courteous face to all who
> come to talk pages and elsewhere on the site needing help.
>
> > Thirdly, as Andy has pointed out, PR professionals and employees are not
> > actually at present forbidden from editing Wikipedia.
>
> I was heavily involved in drafting the COI guideline in 2006, so I
> know what it says (or used to say, at least).
>
> >Until four weeks ago,
> > people who clicked "Contact us" to report an article problem were
> presented
> > with one invitation after another to just go and fix the article
> themselves.
> > And the number of articles edited by organisations' staff is legion. I
> > sometimes think a quarter of Wikipedia wouldn't exist if it weren't for
> > conflict-of-interest edits. They're everywhere. Pick any article on a
> minor
> > company, musician or publication, and chances are you'll find the
> subject or
> > staff members in the edit history.
>
> I think your estimate assumes too much. It would be more helpful to
> understand how big the problematic sector really is.
>
> > People have PR departments, or hire PR agents, to manage their
> reputation.
> > That's just how it is. If they come to Wikipedia with a justified
> complaint,
> > Wikipedia should have a process in place that does not require them to
> edit
> > the article themselves, but provides them with a reasonable level of
> > service, and gets things done when that's the right thing to do. There
> > should be no quibbling that PR professionals have no right to complain in
> > Wikipedia.
>
> The "right to complain" on behalf of someone else is an innovation, I
> think. And this is where I have a problem. Arrogating to ones' self
> the right to complain not just about the content (which surely anyone
> can do)  but as representative of a particular interest is
> questionable. Historically lobbyists had to wait in the lobby?
>
> > I don't think that's what you're saying, as you say you are well aware of
> > the need to improved the relationship between Wikipedia and PR
> > professionals, but just what you *are* saying to Tom then escapes me at
> the
> > moment.
>
> As I said, my example of lawyers was more to do with fitness to do the

Okay, I see what you're saying now. Lawyers are perhaps more used to
situations where they have to tell a client, You can't do that, or You
can't do it that way.

> I have had a couple of interesting conversations with people outside
> the community about training PR folk to the point where they could
> more fruitfully do the job of defending clients on WP. What was
> interesting was that my estimate of how much training it would take
> was at odds with the estimate I was being given of how long the
> trainees' companies would be prepared to allow them to take off the
> job. Time is money, in that sector. But we have to face this as a
> practical issue, if WMUK (for example) is to move to doing workshops
> with the PR sector. My actual problem comes down to this: if we are
> required to teach a quick-and-dirty approach to WP editing to PR pros
> who then expect simple steps to give good results, there may be
> disappointment.

The supreme irony here is that Wikipedia set out to be open, in contrast to
the ivory tower of academe. Yet over the space of a decade, Wikipedia has
become so involved, and its policy so impenetrable and contradictory, that
people are now making a living from guiding others through it.

> The conflation of WP and "social media" in the PR Week online piece
> shows the trouble here. WP predates social media as people now
> understand it, and is fundamentally more complicated. We have to make
> that point clearly in order to get progress here, and if what we get
> back is based on, say, Facebook as comparison, we are not in serious
> communication with the other side.
>
> Charles

Wikipedia has one thing in common with social media: just like anyone can
register a Facebook or Twitter account and write what they like about
whoever they like or dislike, anyone can edit Wikipedia – and that really
does include anyone, regardless of fitness or motivation.

Andreas