On 23 February 2016 at 12:27, Lucy Crompton-Reid
<lucy.crompton-r...@wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> WMUK would like to provide better materials aimed at the general public which
> explain the benefits of open knowledge.

What is the objective here?

> I have already been signposted to some existing resources (provided by other
> organisations) but if you know of any really good materials on this, please
> let me know.
>
> Also, if anyone would like to take on the task of writing a short, simple
> guide to open knowledge from a Wikimedia perspective, please let me know!
> This will go on our website but will also be a document that we can email to
> people as necessary.

As necessary for what? Outside of a few textbook and journal
publishers its not as if there are many people who oppose the concept.

You want to see how open access journals are used on wikipedia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Open_access&limit=5000

Want to see some pretty pictures in use?

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Dendrogramma_enigmatica_sp._nov.,_holotype.png
or most of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_pictures/Space/Looking_out

Want a project that could improve wikipedia's use of open access? Run
Beall’s List against the database to see if there any references that
need review:

https://scholarlyoa.com/publishers/

--
geni