On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM, Thomas Voegtlin <thoma...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Also, in on_body_scroll, you could avoid the for loop : divide
>> $('#body').position()['scrollTop'] by the height of an image
>>
>> 'fraid not - sometimes the rendered text runs longer than the image,
>> so the "row" can be higher than the image. Example:
>> http://toolserver.org/~magnus/book2scroll/index.html
>> (scroll down and you'll see it)
>>

> hmm, you are right ; I had a "pure scan" version in mind.
>
> But it would be nice to have a version that does not load
> the text, just in order to see if the WMF servers are fast
> enough to provide the same fluidity as in the Google Books
> interface.

I don't think the text retrieval is the slow step here...

> For the size quantization, I think it is better to request
> a desired width than a desired height ; the API does not
> exactly give you the height you request. In addition, if
> you quantize the width you will be likely to request thumbs
> that are already created by ProofreadPage.

I've switched to specifying width rounded to 100s; however, the API
still gives me one-off images (599 instead of 600 px). I could hack
the API thumbnail URL, though. Better yet, I can probably skip that
step entirely after the first one...

> Also, for the text, I just had a crazy idea : instead of
> requesting the text of each page, you can do a single
> request for the whole book, using &action=parse (pass the
> <pages/> command to it, as in this script :
> http://wikisource.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Dictionary.js ).
>
> Then we can split the returned string with a regexp that detects
> the page breaks (they are in a special span element), and place
> it in the corresponding divs ; things will break whenever a html
> formatting element ends on a different page than where it
> begins, but we could write a function that balances the
> missing elements.

Why load a giant text and then hack around on broken HTML, when I can
just query each page individually? It's not really slow, at least not
in Google Chrome.

Meanwhile, I added a feature to hide "header elements" like the
proofread line, which kind of disrupts the reading flow. There's a
checkbox to toggle header display.

And for Klaus, I added de.wikisource:
http://toolserver.org/~magnus/book2scroll/index.html?lang=de&numlen=3&file=Reymont_-_Der_Vampir.djvu&startpage=5&pages=318

Cheers,