On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 6:46 PM, ThomasV <thoma...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Magnus Manske a écrit :

>>> hmm, you are right ; I had a "pure scan" version in mind.
>>>
>>> But it would be nice to have a version that does not load
>>> the text, just in order to see if the WMF servers are fast
>>> enough to provide the same fluidity as in the Google Books
>>> interface.
>>>

>> I don't think the text retrieval is the slow step here...
>>

> No, but the for loop in the scroll handler makes it a bit slow.
>
> Another problem occurs when you are viewing page p, and when
> p-1 is not loaded yet : if you scroll up, at the moment where p-1 is
> loaded, the size of its container div increases, and the text you
> are viewing (page p) is pushed towards the bottom. On the
> Dictionary of National Biography this offset can be quite big,
> so you lose track of the text you are viewing.
>
> I don't really know how to solve this ; but it seems to me that
> using divs with variable size is part of the problem here too.

I tried to solve that by fixing the div height to the same as the
image div and using overflow-y to have per-page "sub-scroll". However,
it does not seem to work with divs "display:table-cell", and altering
that breaks the entire layout. I suppose I could go back to good 'ol
table, but that would be a shame...

>> I've switched to specifying width rounded to 100s; however, the API
>> still gives me one-off images (599 instead of 600 px). I could hack
>> the API thumbnail URL, though. Better yet, I can probably skip that
>> step entirely after the first one...
>>
> I can see that too (599 instead of 600); but that's not a
> problem, because the filename does not change, it is "600px-"
>
>> Why load a giant text and then hack around on broken HTML, when I can
>> just query each page individually? It's not really slow, at least not
>> in Google Chrome.
>>

> oh, that was in order to display the text without headers, footers
> and page breaks ; but I guess it's ok to show headers, because
> they are in the scans too. (here I'm not talking about the headers
> that you hide with your button ; I mean the other elements
> that are in this field : running title, references, etc.)

Yes, I know what you mean, but they're not really in that way...

Anyway, I've added a permalink.

Also, I've fiddled with the scrolling for loop; it should be much quicker now.

Cheers,
Magnus