On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Marco Schuster
<ma...@harddisk.is-a-geek.org> wrote:
> What about Google Gears? Yeah, it's Google, but GG supports a variety
> of browsers and we wouldn't have to wait for M$ to support it properly
> in IE 20.

IE8b2 already supports localStorage, from what I've heard, more or
less according to spec.  The problem is legacy browsers.  These will
have to be handled somehow regardless of whether people install Gears,
since we can't expect many people to install Gears.  The extra effort
to implement three different ways of doing things (localStorage +
Gears + legacy fallback) isn't worth it: the number of people with
Gears but not localStorage is probably very small.

Since Gears is open-source, there should be no principled problem with
using it.  (I'm not sure why you think anyone would object on the
basis that Google makes it -- would you expect objections to use of
MySQL or Java because Sun makes those, or YUI because Yahoo! makes
it?)  But pragmatically, I doubt it has enough market adoption to be
worth supporting.