2009/2/25 Robert Ullmann <rlullm...@gmail.com>:
> I suggest the history be partitioned into "blocks" by *revision ID*
>
> Like this: revision IDs (0)-999,999 go in "block 0", 1M to 2M-1 in
> "block 1", and so on. The English Wiktionary at the moment would have
> 7 blocks; the English Wikipedia would have 273.

One problem with that is that you won't get such good compression
ratios. Most of the revisions of a single article are very similar to
the revisions before and after it, so they compress down very small.
If you break up the articles between different blocks you don't get
that advantage (at least, not to the same extent).