On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> As a member of the language committee I can authoritatively state that the
> request for a Pontic Wikipedia has been waiting for 60 days. The request fro
> a Finnish Wikiversity has been waiting for 50 days. I have talked with Brion
> about this at Fosdem, and he acknowledged that operational issues like this
> do not get the attention that they deserve.

I believe the "stable versions" were originally proposed on enwiki
1,192 days ago in Nov. 2005 (unless there's another page even older
than the one I found). It's assumed several shapes and sizes since
then but has never disappeared.

I know nobody can agree on what settings should ultimately be used,
but this is a trivial excuse not to pick something reasonable to use
on a trial basis.

If everyone will shut the hell up about how long unflagged edits must
be left unattended before they "expire" or flag themselves, or whether
or not there is an absolute way to prevent it from being used for
purposes other than special high-intensity BLP enforcements, or
whether semi-protection should be used in concert with this... for
just one bloody second maybe we could get just agree "yes, most of us
would like a trial run for now, we'll worry about the rest later".

But no, last I checked people were stonewalling each other over which
of 15 different ***TRIAL scenarios*** would be the best:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Flagged_revisions/Trial/Proposed_trials

I don't suppose these clowns work in retail? Ah yes ma'am, paper or
plastic, smoking or non-smoking, courtesy fold or no courtesy fold,
window or aisle, fries or onion rings with that, mustard or mayo...
no, wait I meant catsup...

Of course when dealing with people like this I think most of us have a
breaking point where we say "I don't fucking know, just pick something
and surprise me".

—C.W.