2009/4/7 Håkon Wium Lie <howc...@opera.com>:

> Also, I don't really know how the internal systems work, and the
> braces in the template code scare me.

They scare everyone. The ParserFunctions syntax is evil. (This turns
out to be a feature, as only those geeky enough to wrangle with it do
so, giving the users a reasonably simple interface to use the
templates themselves.) You could probably write Emacs in it. Someone
probably has.

> And what do you mean by "space
> messages"?

Sorry, I mean as in page namespaces - there's article space (e.g.
[[Opera (software)]]), there's user space (e.g. [[User:David
Gerard]]), there's project space (e.g. [[Wikipedia:WTF]]), there's a
few others ... each has a Talk: space associated with it for
discussion.

One of them is MediaWiki: space, which is where a lot of the interface
is set. This is very easy to customise, as any administrator on a wiki
can change it. See the sidebar on English Wikipedia? Its contents are
set at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki%3ASidebar .

You should set up a MediaWiki installation and play with it, it's very
easy to get started with :-)

- d.