On 4/17/09 6:45 PM, Marco Schuster wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 11:42 PM, Brion Vibber<br...@wikimedia.org>  wrote:
>> * Background JavaScript worker threads
>
> You mean...stuff like bots written in Javascript, using the XML API?
> I could imagine also sending mails via Special:Emailuser in the background
> to reach multiple recipients - that's a PITA if you want send mails to
> multiple users.

Perhaps... but note that the i/o for XMLHTTPRequest is asynchronous to
begin with -- it's really only if you're doing heavy client-side
_processing_ that you're likely to benefit from a background worker thread.

(Background threads also cannot directly touch the DOM or any objects in
your foreground thread. You need to pass stuff in and out through
indirect messages.)

>> * Geolocation services
>>
> That sounds kinda interesting, even if the accuracy on non-GPS-enabled
> devices isn't that high... can this in any way be joined with the OSM
> integration?

It sure could! :)

-- brion