Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Nikola Smolenski <smole...@eunet.yu> wrote:
>> Even more helpful: MediaWiki could determine if a page uses a rare
>> character upon save and link to appropriate fonts.
>
> The problem with this is that it means the characters may be displayed
> in a different font even if the default font actually contains them,
> which is needlessly ugly.  We can't say "Use this font, but only if
> the font that would otherwise be used doesn't contain character X".

Or can we? I will experiment a bit, but I guess something like this
would work:

@font-face {
   font-family: glagolitic;
   src: url("http://upload.wikimedia.org/fonts/glagolitic.ttf";);
}

body { font-family: sans-serif, glagolitic }

If default sans-serif font doesn't have Glagolitic characters, Firefox
will use any available font that has them, that should include
glagolitic.ttf .