2009/6/5 Strainu <strain...@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I need a little help understanding the deployment policy used on
> Wikipedia in order to have a better image of the relation between
> different types of request in bugzilla and the code added to ro.wp
> following those requests.
>
> I read at
> http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/RELEASE-NOTES?view=markup&pathrev=51492
> that "MediaWiki is now using a "continuous integration" development
> model with quarterly snapshot releases. The latest development code is
> always kept "ready to run", and in fact runs our own sites on
> Wikipedia.".
>
> Indeed, when googling for the blogs of some wikimedia engineers, you
> can see that at certain times the latest code from trunk is pushed
> onto the production servers. On the other hand, when activating an
> extension, the latest stable version is activated.
>
> Is this the way it's really happening? If so, why are there two
> different policies? Which of those two do you consider best?

There aren't two different policies. When enabling a new extension,
the latest version from SVN is installed (provided it has passed
review), and extensions are updated together with the core MediaWiki
code. Once upon a time, we had sort-of-weekly code updates, but right
now Wikipedia is running code dated March 25th.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)