Hello,

I see I've created quite a stir around, but so far nothing really
useful popped up. :-(

But I see that one from Neil:
> Yes, modifying the http://stats.grok.se/ systems looks like the way to go.

For me it doesn't really seem to be, since it seems to be using an
extremely dumbed down version of input, which only contains page views
and [unreliable] byte counters. Most probably it would require large
rewrites, and a magical new data source.

> What do people actually want to see from the traffic data? Do they want
> referrers, anonymized user trails, or what?

Are you old enough to remember stats.wikipedia.org? As far as I
remember originally it ran webalizer, then something else, then
nothing. If you check a webalizer stat you'll see what's in it. We are
using, or we used until our nice fellow editors broke it, awstats,
which basically provides the same with more caching.

Most used and useful stats are page views (daily and hourly stats are
pretty useful too), referrers, visitor domain and provider stats, os
and browser stats, screen resolution stats, bot activity stats,
visitor duration and depth, among probably others.

At a brief glance I could replicate the grok.se stats easily since it
seems to work out of http://dammit.lt/wikistats/, but it's completely
useless for anything beyond page hit count.

Is there a possibility to write a code which process raw squid data?
Who do I have to bribe? :-/

--
 byte-byte,
    grin