On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:46 PM, Aryeh
Gregor<simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Much of the spec is very stable.  We would not be using any part
> that's likely to change -- in most cases, only parts that have
> multiple interoperable implementations.  Such parts of the spec will
> not change significantly; that's a basic principle of most W3C specs'
> development processes (and HTML 5's in particular).

To elaborate on this, from the WHATWG FAQ:

"Different parts of the specification are at different maturity
levels. Some sections are already relatively stable and there are
implementations that are already quite close to completion, and those
features can be used today (e.g. <canvas>). But other sections are
still being actively worked on and changed regularly, or not even
written yet.

"You can see annotations in the margins showing the estimated
stability of each section. . . .

"The point to all this is that you shouldn’t place too much weight on
the status of the specification as a whole. You need to consider the
stability and maturity level of each section individually."
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#When_will_HTML_5_be_finished.3F

"When will we be able to start using these new features?

"As soon as browsers begin to support them. You do not need to wait
till HTML5 becomes a recommendation, because that can’t happen until
after the implementations are completely finished.

"For example, the <canvas> feature is already widely implemented.

"The specification has annotations in the margins showing what
browsers implement each section."
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#When_will_we_be_able_to_start_using_these_new_features.3F