On 07/07/2009, at 7:37 AM, Remember the dot wrote:

> Okay, first thoughts:
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Aryeh Gregor
> <simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com<simetrical%2bwikil...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>
>> It's clear at this point that HTML 5 will be the next version of
>> HTML.
>> It was obvious for a long time that XHTML was going nowhere, but now
>> it's official: the XHTML working group has been disbanded and work on
>> all non-HTML 5 variants of HTML has ceased.  (Source:
>> <http://www.w3.org/2009/06/xhtml-faq.html>)
>

> That page clearly says that there will be an XHTML 5. XHTML is not
> going
> away.
>
> * We can use HTML 5 form attributes.  These will enhance the
>> experience of users of appropriate browsers, and do nothing for
>> others.  At least Opera 9.6x already supports almost all HTML 5 form
>> attributes.  (Source:
>> <http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/presto211/forms/>)  We could, for
>> instance, give required fields the "required" attribute, which will
>> cause the browser to prevent the form submission and notify the user
>> if they aren't filled in, without needing either JavaScript or a
>> server-side check.
>
> What's to prevent a malicious user from manually posting an invalid
> submission? If there are no server-side checks, will the servers
> crash?

... Or from using a browser that doesn't support them. We're obviously
not going to be removing server-side checks in favour of client-side
checks, that's stupid. We're adding client-side checks to enhance
usability.

>> 2) Once this goes live, if no problems arise, try causing an XML
>> well-formedness error.  For instance, remove the quote marks around
>> one attribute of an element that's included in every page.  I suggest
>> this as a separate step because I suspect there are some bot
>> operators
>> who are doing screen-scraping using XML libraries, so it would be a
>> good idea to assess how feasible it is at the present time to stop
>> being well-formed.  In the long run, of course, those bot operators
>> should switch to using the API.  If we receive enough complaints once
>> this goes live, we can revert it and continue to ship HTML 5 that's
>> also well-formed XML, for the time being.
>

> Why be cruel to our bot operators? XHTML is simpler and more
> consistent than
> tag soup HTML, and it's a lot easier to find a good XML parser than
> a good
> HTML parser.

They should be using the API.

> So, while I see some benefit to switching to HTML 5, I'd prefer to
> use XHTML
> 5 instead.

You've given one benefit of XHTML5, which is negated by the fact that
we provide the API for a consistent machine-readable interface, and
the benefits to HTML5 that Aryeh has outlined. What other advantages
are there?

--
Andrew Garrett
Contract Developer, Wikimedia Foundation