We need to inform people that the quality of experience can be
substantially improved if they use a browser that supports free formats.
Wikimedia only distributes content in free formats because if you have
to pay for a licensee to view, edit or publish ~free content~ then the
content is not really ~free~.

We have requested that Apple and IE support free formats but they have
chosen not to. Therefore we are in a position where we have to recommend
a browser that does have a high quality user experience in supporting
the formats. We are still making every effort to display the formats in
IE & Safari using java or plugins but we should inform people they can
have an improved experience on par with proprietary solutions if they
are using different browser.

--michael