On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 12:06, Gerard Meijssen<gerard.meijs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well this strength is not that great when people like myself who has commit
> right on SVN does not want to touch templates with a barge pole if I can
> help it. Wikipedia is supposed to be this thing everybody can edit.

I think you misprioritise the whole thing.

Consider it a feature, not a base functionality. Most installations do
not use 10% of the possible features available, due to lack of
knowledge, time, bravery or else. Writing templates with code is a
rare art by my observation, most of the larger MW installations never
have used it in the first hand.

You would like to remove TeX (math) input because the language is complex?

And since it'd be an extension I guess, it would imply that you want
to forbid(?) creating complex extensions? That's unrealistic. Geeks
need this functionality, so ungeeks may or may not care about that, it
doesn't really matter. If it's easier to understand than not: that's a
plus.

By the way I wouldn't touch PHP with a teen feet pole and rubber
gloves, but I'm fine with current template syntax. We're individuals
with our own preferences. ;-)

grin