On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Alexandre Dulaunoy <a...@foo.be> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Chengbin Zheng<chengbinzh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Since the static HTML Wikipedia is not updating (please update), and XML
> > updates like everyday, the logical choice is to go with XML. Is there any
> > way to convert XML to HTML, like the static HTML version? I need it in
> HTML,
> > and I don't want a one year old version of Wikipedia, with all the
> useless
> > information on user talk, discussions, etc.
> > Thank you.
>
> There are plenty of options to parse the XML (or just the Mediawiki
> markup) to HTML like :
>
> - http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/wikiprep/index.php?title=Main_Page
> (the parser is decent but currently
> no real full featured HTML export)
>
> - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wiki_Slice (but not using XML as source,
> just stripping down output using ?action=raw)
>
> - https://projects.fslab.de/projects/wpofflineclient/wiki/Specifications
> (but also using the raw action)
>
> (a nice article of how to a static version of Wikipedia :
> http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~ttsiod/buildWikipediaOffline.html)
>
> There is a also a nice list of all the parser available (usually from
> the Mediawiki markup
> to something else) :
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Alternative_parsers
>
> Regarding the XML format, usually you want to seek into the XML and
> look for start of
> element containing
> the raw page in mediawiki markup format. So you can use all the
> existing mediawiki
> markup parser as long you have extract the latest revision of the page
> in mediawiki format.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> adulau
>
> --
> --                   Alexandre Dulaunoy (adulau) -- http://www.foo.be/
> --                             http://www.foo.be/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Diary
> --         "Knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance
> --                                that we can solve them" Isaac Asimov

Hi Alexandre

Thank you so much for your response! Do you have a method (or preferably a
GUI) that doesn't take insane computer skills to convert XML to HTML? I am
clueless of how to do this. I'm simply a 15 year old student that want a
copy of Wikipedia on my Archos 5. I don't have the time to learn it.
Thanks.