On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Chad <innocentkil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Tei<oscar.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Chengbin Zheng<chengbinzh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> No, I know what parsing means. Even if it takes 2 days to parse them,
> >> wouldn't it be faster than to actually create a static HTML dump the
> >> traditional way?
> >>
> >> If it is not, then what is the difficulty of making static HTML dumps?
> It
> >> can't be bandwidth, storage, or speed.
> >>

> > WikiMedia work with limited resources on manpower, hardware, etc..etc...
> >
> > Things are done. When? when theres available resources, humans and of
> > the other types.
> > Is not only you, there are lots of people that want to download the
> > wikipedia (sometimes in a periodic fashion)
> >
> > There are a log somewhere with the daily work of some wikipedia admin. (
> - :
> > http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/Server_admin_log
> >
> > Some of these are even very fun, like in:
> > 02:11 b****: CPAN sux
> > 01:47 d******: I FOUND HOW TO REVIVE APACHES
> > ( names obscured to protect the inocents ).
> >
> > --
> > --
> > ℱin del ℳensaje.

> Hehe, seeing as like there's only 10 different names on there, it's
> pretty easy to figure out who B and D are ;-)
>
> -Chad

I can't imagine the need of downloading Wikipedia often for personal use.
The amount of work (or should I say pain) involved to get Wikipedia working,
umm, I don't want to do that often.

The only reason I'm doing it is I want a copy of Wikipedia on the go.
Finding Wi-Fi hotspots is hard (especially in a subway, LOL). It can save me
time, as I can do research anytime I want, anywhere I want, for example in
the subway. I'm not downloading the current static HTML dump because

1: It is very outdated.
2: It contains a LOT of useless information, hogging up half the space.
Space is a big priority, as the English Wikipedia is what, 300GB
uncompressed including "junk". The next Archos PMP releasing in September is
said to have a 500GB hard drive, but I doubt it, even though I hope so,
because I would need 500GB if I'm putting Wikipedia on it (my videos are
taking 220ish GB already on my Archos 5). Seriously hoping the next Archos
supports NTFS (compression feature, cuts size by about half). How hard is it
to get Linux to support NTFS?

Why would you download Wikipedia? Internet is so readily available, and the
online version has images.