On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com<simetrical%2bwikil...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Tei<oscar.vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > At a point, Brion compressed it to 242 MB.
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/wikitech-l@lists.wikimedia.org/msg00358.html
>
> It looks like it was Platonides, not Brion, and as far as I can tell,
> Gregory Maxwell said his compression procedure was broken (i.e.,
> inadvertently lossy).
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Chengbin Zheng<chengbinzh...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have no doubt that you can compress it to 3.3GB. I'm just curious how
> > that's possible for an eBook format.
>
> You just use a very good compression algorithm.  Why can't e-books use
> 7-Zip?

Because decompression would be so slow it would be unusable (correct me if
I'm wrong).

Even if it used an excellent compression algorithm, you can't use solid
compression, otherwise decompression will be a major pain. My own testing
show that solid compression is roughly 5 times more efficient in compressing
Wikipedia than normal compression.