On 24/07/2009, at 2:34 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Cody Jung<funkyca...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Wouldn't adding a salt fix this? They would have to have both the
>> username, the database, and the salt value to decrypt the wiki list.
>
> In other words, they would have to have access to your server, nothing
> more.  No, it wouldn't fix it.
>
> After some discussion in #wikimedia-toolserver, Duesentrieb pointed
> out that a) this issue would be solved if MediaWiki just allowed RSS
> feeds for watchlists, and b) it would probably take less work for me
> to add that feature to MediaWiki than to develop an authentication
> framework that would allow users to securely permit toolserver apps
> access to their watchlists.  MrZ-man helpfully pointed out that the
> API already supports watchlist feeds, so I was able to hack on support
> for token-based authentication pretty easily:
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/53703
>
> Major limitations right now are 1) the default is an empty string,
> which means "don't use", so it's opt-in; 2) the URL for the feed isn't
> actually output anywhere.  Watchlist aggregators should now be easy to
> set up, plus people can just use their favorite feed reader.

Awesome, I've been meaning to implement this for ages.

Some feedback:
* I think you should create a new field class for preferences to allow
the user to enter a token or press a button to have one generated.
This would also allow you to add the link to the feed underneath.
* I think you should add appropriate meta tags and sidebar links to
the RSS feed.

--
Andrew Garrett
agarr...@wikimedia.org