Michael Dale <mdale <at> wikimedia.org> writes:

> * We are not Google. Google lost what like ~470 million~ last year on
> youtube ...(and that's with $240 million in advertising) so total cost
> of $711 million [1]

How much of that is related to transcoding, and how much to delivery? You seem
to be conflating the two issues. We cannot do much to cut delivery costs, save
for serving less movies to readers - distributed transcoding would actually
raise them. (Peer-to-peer video distribution sounds like a cool feature, but it
needs to be implemented by browser vendors, not Wikimedia.)