On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Brion Vibber <br...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> We're applying a Solaris kernel patch for the ZFS performance problem on
> ms1, our main media file server.
>
> While in progress, uploads will be temporarily disabled. Cached images
> should still display, but you may see some missing images in the
> meantime...
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ wikimedia.org)

Have you considered using glusterfs for improved reliability and speed? The
more bricks you add the better the throughput and failsafe meaning, with
hundreds of servers, that you could have a very impressive filesystem. Of
course, it does stress your entire network and would only be feasible within
a single datacenter, preferably on a single rack.

http://gluster.org/