>>>>> "dn" == dan nessett <dness...@yahoo.com> writes:
dn> suggest breaking LocalSettings into two parts

I've always wanted a public part, say linked from Special:Version, "view
public initialization settings", with a standard URL,
title=Special:PublicLocalSettings perhaps, and all without needing to
install an extension.

And a private part, containing passwords, secret spam filters expressions etc.

E.g., take your average hook. One can let users see its name on
Special:Version, but to let users see its content... well one needs to
do something like

$ perl -nlwe 'print if /#START PUBLIC/../#END PUBLIC/' \
LocalSettings.php > PublicLocalSettings.txt

often, and link to that. I.e., _you are not making being open source easy_.

If one could easily see a wiki's public LocalSettings portion, one could
quickly answer many messages here on this list "No wonder, Clodsworth,
you have set $wgNorfblatz='maybe' which is an illegal value".

And on
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Wiki_family#Ultimate_minimalist_solution
I could provide an up to the minute link 'see the real settings behind that
wiki',
without needing to cut and paste, nor use the above perl solution.