Platonides wrote:
> Aryeh Gregor wrote:
>> Tangentially, is there any actual reason we couldn't allow any
>> language's alias (e.g., for special page names or namespaces) to work
>> in any other language?  We'd have to make sure we have a moderately
>> sane way of resolving conflicts, but those should be extremely
>> uncommon.
>
> You get a request for page Foo:Bar. It could be a page name, or Foo
> could mean Special in Bantu. How do you check (efficiently) over 300
> languages?

With array_key_exists(), surely?  It's (AFAIK) a (nearly) constant-time
hash lookup.

Of course, you don't want to have to load 300 Messages*.php files just
to populate that array in the first place, but that just means that we'd
have to consolidate the namespace aliases into a single file if we
wanted to do this, rather than scattering them across hundreds of files
like we do now.

I've actually long wanted something like this for Commons.  At the very
least, It Would Be Nice If all the localized aliases of the File/Image
namespace were added to $wgNamespaceAliases for Commons.

--
Ilmari Karonen