On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Brian <brian.min...@colorado.edu> wrote:
> This round the Usability Initiative got 800,000 dollars. That's a load of
> money. If the Foundation decides that it wants to fix the problem the
> correct way then it can. And it can start at any time! We just need to agree
> on a solution.

Only at the expense of sacrificing some, most, or all of the work
they're already doing.  $800,000 is not a particularly large sum for a
programming project, and the usability project had to prioritize it.
They decided to target things other than WYSIWYG first.  I'd be
inclined to think that's wise, without having considered the issue
very deeply.  Full WYSIWYG *is* really needed, but it would be
unjustifiably expensive when there are so many more minor improvements
that could be (and are being) made much more easily.