On 9/30/09 5:59 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
[snip]
> Of course, this can get ugly if you later want to add more
> capabilities to the format, so JSON or YAML might make sense, but XML
> is overboard IMO.  I'd use XML for text markup only, if that.
>
> But no point in bikeshedding -- if this gets done, whoever does it
> gets to decide the format.

Yep. :) The main reasons to look at XML specifically (vs say JSON which
is also available built-in for both our server and client sides) is that
building a structure that's localization-friendly is straightforward,
since you can easily tack on a 'lang' attribute. This could be done in
JSON but probably with a different tree structure.

Given we already had a proposed XML structure designed at the start of
this thread (based in part on the previous work on German Wikipedia), I
don't see much reason to continue talking formats unless there's an
alternative structure proposal with solid benefits.

-- brion