Hello,

> Is the bandwidth used really a big problem? Bandwidth is pretty
> cheap
> these days, and given Wikipedia's total draw, I suspect the
> occasional
> dump download isn't much of a problem.

I am not sure about the cost of the bandwidth, but the wikipedia image dumps
are no longer available on the wikipedia dump anyway.  I am guessing they were
removed partly because of the bandwidth cost, or else image licensing issues
perhaps.

from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_database#Images_and_uploaded_files

"Currently Wikipedia does not allow or provide facilities to download all
images. As of 17 May 2007 (2007 -05-17)[update],
Wikipedia disabled or neglected all viable bulk downloads of images
including torrent trackers. Therefore, there is no way to download
image dumps other than scraping Wikipedia pages up or using Wikix, which
converts a database dump into a series of scripts to fetch the images.

Unlike most article text, images are not necessarily licensed under the GFDL &
CC-BY-SA-3.0. They may be under one of many free licenses, in the public
domain, believed to be fair use, or even copyright infringements (which should
be deleted).
In particular, use of fair use images outside the context of Wikipedia
or similar works may be illegal. Images under most licenses require a
credit, and possibly other attached copyright information. This
information is included in image description pages, which are part of
the text dumps available from download.wikimedia.org. In conclusion, download
these images at your own risk (Legal)"

> Bittorrent's real strength is when a lot of people want to
> download the
> same thing at once. E.g., when a new Ubuntu release comes out.
> Since
> Bittorrent requires all downloaders to be uploaders, it turns
> the flood
> of users into a benefit. But unless somebody has stats
> otherwise, I'd
> guess that isn't the problem here.

Bittorrent is simply a more efficient method to distribute files, especially if
the much larger wikipedia image files were made available again.  The last dump
from english wikipedia including images is over 200GB but is understandably not
available for download. Even if there are only 10 people per month who download
these large files, bittorrent should be able to reduce the bandwidth cost to
wikipedia significantly.  Also I think that having bittorrent setup for this
would cost wikipedia a small amount, and may save money in the long run, as
well as encourage people to experiment with offline encyclopedia usage etc.  To
make people have to crawl wikipedia with Wikix if they want to download the
images is a bad solution, as it means that the images are downloaded
inefficiently.  Also one wikix user reported that his download connection was
cutoff by a wikipedia admin for "remote downloading".

Unless there are legal reasons for not allowing images to be downloaded, I
think the wikipedia image files should be made available for efficient download
again.  However since wikix can theoretically be used to download the images, I
think it would also be legal to allow the image dump to be downloaded as well,
thoughts?

cheers,
Jamie