David Gerard wrote:
> http://www.sdtimes.com/blog/post/2010/01/30/Facebook-rewrites-PHP-runtime.aspx
>
> Facebook is written in PHP. Unlike Wikimedia, they have money to pay
> people to speed it up. Looks like they're introducing a PHP compiler.
> Open source. Might be of interest to WMF and third-party MediaWiki
> users ...
>
> - d.

There are some php compiler projects out there, like
http://phpcompiler.org/ or
http://www.roadsend.com/home/index.php?pageID=compiler

However, that article is just rumour. I think it's more likely they made
some apc-like cache/optimizer than a compiler. And the conclusion that
it will be open source is questionable. In such case, why would they
made them sign NDAs?

Domas intervention is also noticeable, since he probably knows what's
going on.