On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 01:04, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <ava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since the tests were ported from t/ to phpunit's
> phase3/maintenance/tests/ in r61938 and other commits running the
> tests on my machine takes up to 1GB of memory and grows as it runs
> more tests. It seems that phpunit uses the same instance of the php
> interpreter for running all the tests.
>
> Is there some way around this? Perhaps phpunit.xml could be tweaked so
> that it runs a new php for each test?
>
> Furthermore when I run `make test' I get this:
>
>    Time: 03:35, Memory: 1849.25Mb
>
>    There were 2 failures:
>
>    1) LanguageConverterTest::testGetPreferredVariantUserOption
>    Failed asserting that two strings are equal.
>    --- Expected
>    +++ Actual
>    @@ @@
>    -tg-latn
>    +tg
>

> /home/avar/src/mw/trunk/phase3/maintenance/tests/LanguageConverterTest.php:82
>
>    2) Warning
>    No tests found in class "ParserUnitTest".
>
>    FAILURES!
>    Tests: 686, Assertions: 3431, Failures: 2, Incomplete: 34
>
> But when I run phpunit manually on the test then all tests pass:
>
>    $ phpunit LanguageConverterTest.php
>    PHPUnit 3.4.5 by Sebastian Bergmann.

>    Time: 23 seconds, Memory: 23.75Mb
>
>    OK (9 tests, 34 assertions)
>
> Also after I get "Tests: 686, Assertions: 3431, Failures: 2,
> Incomplete: 34" in the first output phpunit doesn't exit and continues
> hugging my memory. Why is it still running? It has already run all the
> tests.

I've worked around this by adding a 'make tap' target which runs the
phpunit tests individually with Test::Harness. I made it the default
target due to the problems with running all the tests at once with
phpunit:

    http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/62071
    http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/62072

Does something run these tests or the parsertests automatically? It
would be really neat to test all svn revisions of MediaWiki and report
the results on Special:Code. I think I read somewhere that something
runs the parsertests automatically.