Hi Steve,

> But why?

Because we need to identify malicious behavior.

> (This just broke one of my bots.)
> Are the details of this policy discussed anywhere?

I don't know. Probably. We always told people to specify User-Agent, just the
check was broken.

> Is it permissible to send

> thus providing precisely the same amount of information as if not
> supplying the header at all?

No, you clearly miss very simple idea that with such user-agent you clearly
identify yourself as malicious, whereas when you don't specify, you're either
malicious or ignorant.

Do note, we're good at detecting spoofed user-agents too, so if your bots
disguise as MSIE or Firefox or any other regular browser, your behavior is seen
as malicious.

We do not like malicious behavior.

Domas