On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 08:39, Ilmari Karonen <nos...@vyznev.net> wrote:

> On 05/18/2010 08:53 AM, Michael Dale wrote:
> >
> > But in general its probably better / easier for end users to just
> > identify their platform and whats not working, since its all code to
> > them anyway. If they are a developer or are going to do something
> > productive with what they are seeking they likely have the code checked
> > out locally and use the debug mode.
>
> The problem here is Wikimedia sites.  If you leave the debug mode off
> and serve fully minified scripts on WMF sites, the hundreds if not
> thousands of people who develop user/site scripts for them will have a
> very hard time debugging anything that involves interactions with the
> minified code.  If you turn debug mode on permanently, you lose most of
> the benefit of having a minifier to begin with (Wikimedia being the
> single biggest user of MediaWiki).
>
> Then there's also the problem that the MediaWiki environment on
> Wikimedia sites can be quite different from a stock install, and
> duplicating enough of it on a test wiki to be able to reproduce a
> Wikimedia-specific bug may be quite difficult -- particularly so if you
> have to do this before you even know where the bug occurs, because you
> couldn't do any useful debugging due to the code being minified.
>
> I'd like to second Aryeh's suggestion to at least tweak the minifier to
> leave newlines intact (although collapsing multiple consecutive newlines
> to one would be OK, I guess).  That way users could at least set up
> useful breakpoints and receive error messages that tell more than which
> file the problem occurred in.

I would support "a url flag to avoid minification and or avoid
script-grouping",
as suggested by Michael Dale, or even to have a user preference for
enable/disable minification in a more permanent way (so we don't need to
change the url on each test: we just disable minification, debug the code
and then enable it again)

Helder