On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Conrad Irwin <conrad.ir...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2010 21:21, Lane, Ryan <ryan.l...@ocean.navo.navy.mil> wrote:
>>> This morning I bumped the revision number to 2.0[0]. Some
>>> people on IRC didn't like this, so I reverted it and I'm bringing
>>> it here. I don't think anyone really wants to keep doing 1.x
>>> releases (people seriously get confused that 1.10 comes after
>>> 1.6). The following suggestions have been put forward:
>>>

> Wouldn't removing 1.6 from the main page solve the problem for most
> newcomers? Only those who go down to the PHP 4 section of the
> downloads need ever know it exists and thus get the impression that it
> is an older version. Once they're no-longer newcomers, we can hope
> that they'll have a feel for how version numbers work.
>
> Conrad

To be honest I think we should remove it from everything. I
know it requires practically zero work to maintain, but the
longer it sits around the more people will be encouraged to
stick with PHP4 and not move on. PHP in general has faced
this for years. While the world has moved on to 5 now, there
are some lingering hosts who refuse to upgrade, and keeping
PHP4 products around keeps them from seeing the need to
upgrade.

-Chad