2010/6/14 Neil Kandalgaonkar <ne...@wikimedia.org>:
> Just starting off the discussion, but am I right in assuming that this
> is driven by a desire for time tracking / project tracking, and this
> comes primarily from PMs at the WMF?
>
> I sympathize but I'm skeptical about exactly how much a tool alone can
> improve things.
>
> I'm also skeptical of time tracking, period. It involves bookkeeping
> that is secondary to everyone's primary goals on any given day. And if
> you do it inconsistently, it becomes worse than useless. (I don't see
> any of the top projects on Redmine that seem to be using time tracking
> seriously.)
>
> In my experience, developer practice and communication is what makes
> projects stay on time. Choice of issue tracker is nearly irrelevant.
>
> That said, I can totally understand the desire for better measurement,
> or tools like Gannt charts.

On a slightly related note, I strongly believe Bugzilla exists for the
developers, not for project managers. Adding project management
features is a good thing, but that shouldn't come at great
inconvenience to the developers, especially if the benefits are as
little as Neil says they are. For this reason alone, I'm against
switching to another bug tracker for better PM support unless it's
clearly superior to BZ, both for PMs and devs.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)