Hi all,

Many thanks to Sebastian from the DZB for his quick accessibility inspection.

I wanted to comment on two things.

> 3) hidden (collapsed) menus use display:none. This makes them inaccessible to
> screen readers, etc. Alternative ways for hiding them might be better - such
> as setting the hight to 0. Has this been tried?

I doubt this will be a reasonable solution. It is correct that hidden menus are
display:none. The menu can be expanded, but this is not clear to the screen
reader user as he wouldn’t suspect he can activate a heading. (If the heading
would have an onclick event this would be indicated by the screen reader.) This
problem can only be solved satisfactorily by using WAI-ARIA.

> Also, would it be possible to detect at least the most popular screen reader
> plugins with JS, so a special mode could be triggered for the visually
> impaired?

There is no such thing a a screen reader plugin, so you can’t detect them
easily or reliable. They inject filters into browsers (BHO for IE) or make use
of known accessibility interfaces.

I thank everybody who is moving forward accessibility for Wikimedia projects.
It is important to millions of users with disabilities worldwide.

Cheers,
Maria