On 21/07/10 00:32, Daniel Kinzler wrote:
> Lars Aronsson schrieb:
>> What are the plans for increasing this limit? Would it be
>> possible to allow 500 MB or 1 GB for these file formats,
>> and maintain the lower limit for other formats?
>
> As far as I know, we are hitting the limits of http here. Increasing the
> upload
> limit as such isn't a solution, and a per-file-type setting doesn't help,
> since
> the limit strikes before php is even started. It's on the server level.

The problem is just that increasing the limits in our main Squid and
Apache pool would create DoS vulnerabilities, including the prospect
of "accidental DoS". We could offer this service via another domain
name, with a specially-configured webserver, and a higher level of
access control compared to ordinary upload to avoid DoS, but there is
no support for that in MediaWiki.

We could theoretically allow uploads of several gigabytes this way,
which is about as large as we want files to be anyway. People with
flaky internet connections would hit the problem of the lack of
resuming, but it would work for some.

-- Tim Starling