Tim Starling wrote:
> The problem is just that increasing the limits in our main Squid and
> Apache pool would create DoS vulnerabilities, including the prospect
> of "accidental DoS". We could offer this service via another domain
> name, with a specially-configured webserver, and a higher level of
> access control compared to ordinary upload to avoid DoS, but there is
> no support for that in MediaWiki.
>
> We could theoretically allow uploads of several gigabytes this way,
> which is about as large as we want files to be anyway. People with
> flaky internet connections would hit the problem of the lack of
> resuming, but it would work for some.
>
> -- Tim Starling

I don't think it wouldn't be a problem for MediaWiki if we wanted to go
this route. There could be eg. http://upload.en.wikipedia.org/ which
redirected all wiki pages but Special:Upload to http://en.wikipedia.org/

The "normal" Special:Upload would need a redirect there, for accesses
not going via $wgUploadNagivationUrl, but that's a couple of lines.

Having the normal apaches handle uploads instead of a dedicated pool has
some issues, including the DoS you mention, filled /tmp/s, needing write
access to storage via nfs...