Tim Starling schrieb:
> It's been said (e.g. [1]) that hashing passwords with two rounds of
> MD5 is basically a waste of time these days, because brute-forcing
> even relatively long passwords is now feasible with cheap hardware.
> Indeed, you can buy software [2] which claims to be able to check 90
> million MediaWiki passwords per second on an ordinary GPU. That would
> let you crack a random 8-letter password in 20 minutes.

I don't know that much about the mathematical details of hashing, but i'd like
to drop a pointer to an article if found interesting in this context:

"Stop using unsafe keyed hashes, use HMAC"
http://rdist.root.org/2009/10/29/stop-using-unsafe-keyed-hashes-use-hmac/

So, how does your proposal relate to HMAC?

-- daniel