On 8/20/10 12:57 PM, Maciej Jaros wrote:
>    Hi.
>
> Does anybody know which extension Wikia uses currently? On Wikia's SVN
> I've found the RTE extension[1], but I think they at least something
> extra for adding categories...

Not really sure, but I know what you mean.

BTW, I am working on something similar, but only as a sort of sideline
to my work on Multimedia Usability. Not really ready for prime time yet.

HotCats is still the most featureful and most compatible with various
use cases (such as category editing).

> BTW. I think that usability might consider working from their version
> rather then developing everything from scratch. Wikia's editor seems to
> work quite well for most basic pages and doesn't seem to clutter code
> with unwanted tags. After some tests I can certainly say it's much
> better then the official version of FCKeditor extension [2].

At the WMF, we just met with Wikia on Monday about how we can move
forward together on the whole WYSIWYG front.

Wikia does have a lot of nice GUI features and they say they've ironed
out most of their "dirty diff" issues. Nevertheless they only have part
of an engineer's time dedicated to editing issues[1]. So one way or
another, it's going to be the MediaWiki community that takes WYSIWYG
forward. The question is whether Wikia's editor is a good basis for
progress on Wikimedia projects. We're trying to figure that out right now.

Anyway, we're going to be talking with Wikia on a more regular basis in
the future, no matter what.

[1] My impression is that Wikia is really more about building on *top*
of the MediaWiki platform. (They said as much in that meeting). Their
main business is hosting thousands and thousands of wikis, building
features that are amusing or engaging to their audience, adapting the
software for advertising and commercial entities, and so on.

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar  |) <ne...@wikimedia.org>