On 11 September 2010 08:40, Robert Rohde <raro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In addition, if people are editing and changing attribution flags then
> there is a natural need to have version histories for license flags.
> In the existing system, this is accomplished by the revision histories
> of the pages showing changes in templates.  This isn't ideal (for
> example the history of license changes isn't easily searchable), but
> it does fill a critical need.  One could create a new log of
> attribution changes, but it's effectiveness would be limited unless
> one can see and revert to the attribution as it existed in the past
> (which is not a feature generally enabled by logs).

Perhaps something like how the interface for file revisions works -
that is, a licensing-history tab (or somesuch ?) with state links,
change data, diff links, and "revert to" buttons? But yes, this would
be quite distinct from normal logs. :-)

The opportunities such a system would potentially give would be hugely
cool e.g. in-line automatic RDFa hooks on the licensing of images
on-page (and in-text, though I think community members for WMF wikis
might complain), or "only let me see the actually free bits of this
wiki", excluding the non-free components.

James
--
James D. Forrester
jdforres...@wikimedia.org | jdforres...@gmail.com