Chad wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM, MZMcBride <z...@mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> I think nearly everyone agrees that most of this should be in core. Saying
>> so is trolling, though.
>
> Don't see how it's trolling. But then again, maybe I should
> defer to your expertise in the area.

I don't either. :-)

Creating an extension called "Vector" when there's already a skin called
"Vector" is absolutely needlessly confusing. This builds upon the confusion
of having a skin called "Vector" while having a sub-extension called
"UsabilityInitiative/Vector".

It creates more work in the future because there are now two extensions
(UsabilityInitiative/Vector and Vector) that have to maintained (translated,
etc.) and eventually cleaned up after when the code is finally put in core.
It also creates more work for wiki administrators who have to keep track of
what's what and install/maintain extensions that shouldn't be extensions in
the first place.

An artificial deadline has been erected for the release of MediaWiki 1.17
that appears to have no basis in reality (if there's an updated roadmap or
official target release date for 1.17, feel free to link me to it), but that
was the explanation I was given for the hasty changes. More discussion is
available here: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/73030

MZMcBride