On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 18:57:12 +0200, Bryan Tong Minh wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Dan Nessett <dness...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think the object cache and memcached are alternative ways of storing
>> persistent data. (I also am not an expert in this, so I could be
>> wrong). My understanding is memcached uses the memcached daemon
>> (http:// memcached.org/), while the object cache uses the underlying
>> database. If so, then memcached data disappears after a system crash or
>> power outage, whereas object cache data should survive.
>>

> There is no ObjectCache class. Basically, there is a common base class
> called BagOStuff and from that various classes for various backends are
> defined such as SqlBagOStuff and MemcacheBagOStuff. To the code outside
> that class, there is no visible difference.
>

> Bryan

Thanks for the clarification. I just looked at ObjectCache.php and it
appears to provide a set of functions for accessing cache data of any
type. Is this correct?

How does memcached fit into this? When I looked at BagOStuff, I didn't
find a MemcacheBagOStuff class. Is it defined elsewhere?

--
-- Dan Nessett