* Trevor Parscal <tpars...@wikimedia.org> [Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:01:47
-0800]:
> It's in the roadmap and in process? Want to help?

I found the following notes in the linked from Roadmap article:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ResourceLoader/Status

> Port Michael's wikitext-in-JS code (for PLURAL and stuff)
It seems that Michael (Dale?) already wrote the code for that.

After looking at server-side Language classes, it seems that client-side
plural either requires AJAX (which is really inefficient for messages),
or, a much better approach is to make a set of JS language classes,
similar to PHP classes, which is a larger work.

After looking at ResourceLoader code, it seems that message classes are
here, for example I've found
resources/mediawiki.language/languages/ru.js, which implements
mediaWiki.language.convertPlural. However mediaWiki.msg currently
ignores them.

I can match a plural with JS regexp and try to replace callback value by
that mediaWiki.language.convertPlural() call, however I have the feeling
that it's better to wait for trunk merge, instead of re-inventing
something that will not be used.

It seems that ru.js mediaWiki.language.converPlural matches the logic of
LanguageRu::convertPlural. I don't know any more languages.
What can I do to help?
Dmitriy