2010/11/10 Dmitriy Sintsov <ques...@rambler.ru>:
> * Trevor Parscal <tpars...@wikimedia.org> [Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:16:27
> -0800]:
>> Well, we basically just need a template parser. Michael has one that
>> seems to be working for him, but it would need to be cleaned up and
>> integrated, as it's currently spread across multiple files and
> methods.
>>
>> Do you like writing parsers?
>>
> Maybe my knowledge of MediaWiki is not good enough, but aren't the local
> messages only provide the basic syntax features like {{PLURAL:||}}, not
> a full Parser with template calls and substitutions? I never tried to
> put real template calls into messages. Rewriting the whole Parser in
> Javascript would be a lot of work. Many people have already failed to
> make alternative parsers fully compatible. And how would one call the
> server-side templates, via AJAX calls? That would be inefficient.

We're not looking for a full-blown parser, just one that has a few
basic features that we care about. The current JS "parser" only
supports expansion of message parameters ($1, $2, ...), and we want
{{PLURAL}} support too. AFAIK that's pretty much all we're gonna need.
Michael Dale's implementation has $1 expansion and {{PLURAL}}, AFAIK,
and maybe a few other features.

> I am currently trying to improve my Extension:WikiSync, also I have
> plans to make my another extensions ResourceLoader compatible.

I think {{PLURAL}} is an important feature for ResourceLoader, and if
no volunteer wants to implement it, I think a staff developer should.

> However, if the most of work has already been done, I can take a look,
> but I don't have the links to look at (branches, patches). I just don't
> know how much time would it take. Sorry.
I believe most of the work has already been done, yes, but I've never
seen Michael's code and I don't know where it is (maybe someone who
does can post a link?).

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)