* Daniel Friesen <li...@nadir-seen-fire.com> [Mon, 06 Dec 2010 08:13:04
-0800]:
> PHP -> XSL doesn't quite feel like much of an improvement in terms of
> cutting down on the verbose redundant code boilerplate required to
> insert something.
> ie: <xsl:value-of select="title"/> doesn't look much better than <?php
> $this->text("title") ?>, as opposed to {$title|escape:html}.
XQuery code looks much less bloated, much like your last example {} :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XQuery
however I am not sure it is equally as powerful and probably is not well
supported in PHP :-(

> And I'm not sure how XSL handles html vs. text, we have stuff you want
> to htmlescape and stuff you want to output raw.
> Using an XSL lib also doesn't play nicely with things like calling a
> function to generate tooltips or fetch something from the i18n system.

Also XSL wants tags to be properly closed, while in HTML5 they have
decided a "human-friendly" way of tag soup.

> Unfortunately I think any designer we can convince to build a
MediaWiki
> skin will probably dislike using XSL as a template language more than
> using PHP as a template language.

I wonder whether XQuery is a good alternative but it seems it does not
catch up :-( The same was for XSL (XSL exists for ages, yet it didn't
gain a huge popularity - perhaps, because it's tiresome to type
statements in tags).
Dmitriy