Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> When I load their homepage, the formulas don't appear for about two
> seconds of 100% CPU usage, on Firefox 4b9.  And that's for two small
> formulas.  I'm not impressed.  IMO, the correct way forward is to work
> on native MathML support -- Gecko and WebKit both support it these
> days, and Opera somewhat does too.  I'm sure the support is a bit
> spotty, but if Wikipedia used it (even as an off-by-default option)
> that would surely drive a lot of progress.  These days (with the
> deployment of HTML5 parsers) it can be embedded directly into HTML,
> it's not limited to XML.

Looking at http://www.mathjax.org/demos/tex-samples/ it may indeed take
a couple of seconds to convert from TeX to the graphical view, but
without 100% CPU usage or looking "blocked". I'm not using 49b but
3.6.12, though. I see a similar result in chromium.
A disadvantage is that the showing the formula needs to reposition the
content, instead of reserving the space in advance.